Happily Ever Afters Are Just A Book Away

Happily Ever Afters Are Just A Book Away

Sunday, March 1, 2015

To Indie-Pub or not to Indie-Pub?


I don't know about you guys, but I'm usually working on several projects at once.  Right now books one and two of the historical romances are with my editor. While I'm waiting on those, I should be plotting book three, but I kind of need a breather from historical western.

I've been working on a contemporary romance, which I love because it's sassy and yet kind of a women's fiction crossover, which is surprising for me since I don't generally care for women's fiction. It's really nice to write about different issues without having to worry about being anachronistic. I can use current slang, my characters have cell phones and cars, and I don't have to research 19th century fashion just so my characters can get dressed.

But the first book I ever wrote was a paranormal romance. It's a different take on fae, and it has a special place in my heart. I adore the characters and the series arc, but as many of you know the paranormal market, at least in traditional publishing, has fizzled.  Sure, lots of readers still crave it, but agents aren't signing it anymore, and bigger publishers aren't buying it.



So what are we supposed to do with those stories? Stuff them in a drawer and hope the genre experiences a revival in a few years? Try selling it to a small publisher? Indie-pub?

I'm in the process of submitting to smaller publishers, but I'm really intrigued by the idea of indie publishing, specifically serialized indie publishing. What do you all think about serialized novels? Have you read any, or do you write them?

Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie where indie pubbing is concerned and know absolutely nothing about it, not to mention the fact that I've got very little platform or following (yet), and I'm still working on branding. I assume all that would make it easier to sell indie published work.

Nonetheless, successful indie publishers had to start somewhere teaching themselves the process, so I suppose that's what I'll do, too.



For those of you who have indie published, what kind of advice do you have to offer?

~Margaret


No comments:

Post a Comment